Thursday, December 12, 2013

Embracing my Inner Geek

My name is Kenneth Curtis and I am a geek.

That felt good.  It felt good to come clean.  But there is more I need to get off my chest.

I went to midnight screenings of each Lord of the Rings movie.   I can tell you the biographical difference between Silver Age and Golden Age DC superheroes.  I can quote nearly every Monty Python’s Flying Circus sketch.  I have played every Final Fantasy video game.  I can tell you everything that is inaccurate with the Spiderman movie franchise.  I know how many parsecs the average Kessel run takes.   I nod respectfully at dolphins and look suspiciously at pet mice.   I know Derrial Book’s real name.  I can say more things in Elvish than I can in German.

My name is Kenneth Curtis and I am a geek.

I have never been ashamed of this fact nor aggressively tried to hide my inner geek.  Most people who know me have seen my inner geek come out on many occasions.  However, much of the time I found myself consciously or subconsciously repressing my inner geek in favor of more adrenalin related pursuits.   I stood on the fence, not apologetic, but afraid to go all in.    I worried that embracing the inner geek would mean leaving my other interests behind, abandoning the adrenalin rush of outdoor pursuits.

But a few months ago, I started writing a fantasy novel.

38000 words later, I realized something.  I am all in.  And I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment